Wednesday, January 18, 2012

He Works for Peanuts and No Posts of the Week

Sorry folks, but as you may have noticed, I haven't been keeping up with my blog visits over the past few days. I've had a visitor and been a visitor in the real world, this past week. And when blog visits diminish, so does my collection of the Posts of the Week. So I'm going to have to skip them, this week and try to find more for you for next time. I hope you'll understand. In fact, I feel I know you well enough to say that I'm sure you will understand.

I won't leave you totally empty-handed though. I have a couple of pictures to show you from a walk that Benny and I took at Frank's place on New Year's Day. I'll have some more for you again tomorrow.

checking for peanuts
So tell me, what do you think Benny is looking for? A bird. A squirrel? A creature of any kind? Nope, not our boy. He's looking for a peanut.




peanut spot
If Frank or I have peanuts on us while walking in this area, we leave them at various points for the squirrels and blue jays to enjoy. This tree hollow always gets one on our way into the cedar grove. After we've made the full circuit (about 40 minutes), we pass the same tree on our way out. It's the only spot where a peanut was left low enough for Benny to see. And he always has to check and make sure that a squirrel had indeed located and removed it. As you can see, the peanut was still there on this day. I'm sure it wasn't too much longer until it was discovered.

I'll have a few more photos from that walk for you if you come back tomorrow.

Thanks always for stopping by.

39 comments:

VM Sehy Photography said...

That is too cute. Benny is very entertaining.

MaggieGem said...

Benny is adorable... good watch dog he is! ;-)

Cloudia said...

how could anyone keep up with all the wonderful (truly!) bloggers out there??!! We all do what we can, and somehow MANY of us ALWAYS visit here. . . .cream and all that. . .

or maybe it's BENNY?

Fond Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

ADRIAN said...

It is good to take a break. It can all get a bit overwhelming sometimes.

stephen Hayes said...

Thanks for the fun pictures. Take all the time you need but be sure you come back to us.

Pauline said...

Love that you leave peanuts for the critters (and that benny makes sure you do!)

Tabor said...

There is always room for Posts of the Month...you are very dedicated!

Brian Miller said...

so cool that you leave them for hte squirrels and birds...and great pic of benny..

Gary's third pottery blog said...

haha, oh BENNY!

Hilary said...

Oh, my heavens, he is a pip.

Mental P Mama said...

Oh how I love that Benny! And, how dare you have a personal life? ;)

Dianne said...

I love his tiny tail at attention
he is so adorable and funny

Daryl said...

Benny, like George, always makes a good post/photo ... I may need to train Jack to take walks with me ..

DJan said...

You can always put a Benny picture up for me to enjoy and I'm happy. Your pictures are always satisfying, but when they have that cutie, they bring a smile to my face! :-)

Gail Dixon said...

Benny and his antics are always a blog reading highlight!

TexWisGirl said...

too cute (benny, and the fact that you place peanuts along your route!)

Russell said...

Very good!

I am sure many other people have pointed this out to you and Frank, but the new hit movie, The Artist, features a Jack Russell Terrier named Uggie.

Uggie stole the show at the People's Choice Awards - heh! I thought it was great.

Still, Uggie has a ways to go to catch up with Benny. After all, there is only one Benny!

Bossy Betty said...

I love Benny! That second shot is just amazing!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

The word that always comes to mind when I think of Benny is "intense." He pours his all into every activity.

I haven't been posting much myself lately. I like to think of it as saving Hilary the time she would have to spend in reading it. :)

Out on the prairie said...

A great shot, glad you are having a good time.

Karen said...

Ha, I should have known! My dog even eats some acorns that the squirrels like. Enjoy your day.

Jinksy said...

I think a peanut bird is about to come and sit on that peanut egg to hatch it! LOL

Dr. M. P. Mishra said...

Thank you. Nice post

messymimi said...

Benny looks for the peanut, but doesn't eat it if it is still there? Good doggie!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Placing peanuts on your walk is a great idea. I might have to start doing that around here too.
xo jj

Barb said...

That Benny is so photogenic - even from the rear! I like the heart-shaped "hole" where you leave a peanut - a scavenger hunt for squirrels.

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, won't the lady let you get the nuts Benny.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea!

Red said...

Great way to tell an interesting story...go for a walk. Then through in a couple of excellent photos.
Funny what these little dogs get in their heads.

Gillian Olson said...

That is so cute.

Liz Mays said...

Awwww, he's such a funny little guy!

Lynne with an e said...

How do you know that Benny's not checking to see if the tree ate it?

Dave said...

Hilary, you have been great doing POTW's. You deserve a break. Enjoy. You are very considerate leaving peanuts for the squirrels and blue jays - dave

Reena said...

Love Benny's little hind end!!

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet of you two, and so cute of Benny! And I'm always amazed at how you keep up with so many blogs - you deserve a break!! Enjoy!

lime said...

that benny, he just makes me giggle. love the texture of that second tree shot.

Anonymous said...

I love that you leave peanuts here and there... and Benny always makes me smile. :)

As for POTW, how could one squirrel possibly find all of those peanuts each and every week? It would take a LOT of work!

Unknown said...

That is so funny, Hilary! I would have definitely guessed a squirrel! :)

SandyCarlson said...

Benny is my hero. These are lots of fun.