Tuesday, July 8, 2014

If I Had Wings...

Fight or flight? If I had wings, there'd be no choice. But since I don't have wings, I have to rely on my cape, and a long running start. ~ Jarod Kintz

All quotes below are by Jarod Kintz

ruby throat male
"If my love could be represented by a blur, it would be the beating of a hummingbird's wings. Did you know that my love is the only love that can fly backwards?"
A sweet little male Ruby-throated hummingbird perches atop the feeder holder ready to shoo off any interlopers.






mallard watching3
"My phone rang and a duck quacked, so I answered the bird."
A duck on a dock. There's not much more to say about that other than it was a dull day and I used the flash to fill in some of the missing details - hence the Mallard's red eye.





stink bug kitchen window
"Insects have the most sex. Trust me, I peep on them through my microscope."
I may not have a microscope to peep on bugs but this one is indeed behind glass. The kitchen window, to be exact. And the macro lens helped to see this probable stink bug up close while the flash assisted in illuminating it. Many of the spots on the window are out of focus gnats, mosquitoes and other assorted insects. Many more of them are water spatters, dust and other marks which prove we don't have sparkling clean windows. They don't look that bad without the flash.





red fly 2
"I've always envied flies. Think about it: you're a fly, your name is an action, the very thing you do all the time. It's your innate action in life, the thing you were born to do. It's like a salesperson who was named Sell. I love that. If I ever met a salesperson who said, "Hi, I'm Sell," I'd reply, "And I'm sold!."
I found this attractive fellow in the house. He's sitting on a turkey feather which I used to transport him back outside.






lesser scaup pair
I am a duck. I'm cool and calm on the surface, but underneath it all is a nonstop struggle to succeed. My feet are like orange spatulas"
At the same time the mallard was on the dock, these two new (to me) creatures were swimming beside it. The trusty bird guide told me that they're a pair of Lesser Scaups. The male on the left. A rather rare migratory find around here.





tiger swallowtail butterfly2
"Love, I love it like an airplane loves a helicopter, but not as much as a bat admires a butterfly."
A lovely Eastern yellow swallowtail butterfly whose tail has seen better days.





moth on window
"I once snorted a moth. Unintentionally, of course. Its not like I was trying to get high."
Once night falls, there are countless numbers of insect staring at us from outside the window. This moth was one of them. Next post, I'll show you one of the most unexpected wee creature I've seen on a window - just a few inches over from the moth.





fly high
"I once saw a snake having sex with a vulture, and I thought, It's just business as usual in Washington DC."
For such an unattractive bird, the Turkey Vulture sure does look beautiful in flight.





4 goslings and parents
"I had a dream about you. The leaves changed from yellow to red, but the stoplights did not. This made me continually cautious, and you kept honking at me. I thought you were the rudest goose ever."
One of our local family of geese. This goose, gander and their four goslings mingle with another family of two goslings, Mom and Dad. They're such devoted creatures.





luna
"If God had wanted men to swim, he would have taught fish to fish. But fish don't fish, and neither do I, but it's also the reason I don't swim."
Loons. They're beautiful, entertaining, wonderful, haunting and enchanting birds. If you've never heard the call of the loon, you don't know what you're missing. In fact, please do find out what you're missing. Have a listen over here. The first (pair tremelo), second (pair wail) and last (wing noise, hoot, yodel) will give you all the typical loon calls between them. They're a joy to listen to. And to watch. We have five loons that tend to hang out together on the bay. Some may be wee ones but they all look full grown to us.

I hope you enjoyed some of the winged creatures who share our space, along with the crazy quotes of Jarod Kintz. I should have more photos coming up before too long.

41 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

I like all these shots...but the first one is my fav! Such lovely details...esp the water droplet...
-- Houseboats of Srinagar

ADRIAN said...

Excellent shots. The Loon is a beauty. We call them Great Northern Divers.

Cloudia said...

I so enjoyed meeting all these friends.




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= <3

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots - that hummingbird is stunning!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh so GORGEOUS. I hope you find yourself swimming this summer too!

steviewren said...

Your photography just gets better and better.

There is something about the composition of the overturned wheelbarrow and geese that I love.

Betsy Brock said...

Lovely photos! That first one is amazing!

Love the orange spatulas. ha.

Out on the prairie said...

A very nice selection. I like the moth real well.

DJan said...

I love your pictures, as always. The fly seems to be missing an antenna. And loons? They are simply magical. You are so fortunate to have them nearby. Thank you for sharing your winged creatures with me. :-)

Brian Miller said...

love the picture of the duck...i get to see plenty of those stink bugs up close and personal this time of year...ha....

hope you day is filled with beauty...smiles.

Tabor said...

I do so miss the loons. They every so briefly stop by on their way to either summer or winter homes. Lovely and great clarity!

Slamdunk said...

Lovely Hilary; especially the hummingbird shot. It reminded me how much we used to enjoy our hummingbird feeders and catching a glimpse of that elusive friend.

TexWisGirl said...

loved them all - yup, i liked orange spatulas a lot, too. :)

Red said...

You chose some rather whimsical quotes to go along with the photos. Photos through the window are a neat opportunity. We tend to ignore the bugs on the window.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

jOY, joy and more joy that's what your photography of your surroundings brings to this city desert dweller. Water, waterfowl, forest, nature.......ahhhhhh, yes now I can feel my connection to the rest of the big wide world. THanks Ms. Hilary, Oma Linda

stephen Hayes said...

Thanks for making it possible for me to enjoy nature this morning. I can almost smell the fresh air.

Birdie said...

All of your photos are just lovely. And I am glad you took the winged bug outside. There is a personality there. Just look at those eyes!

Gail Dixon said...

Gorgeous images, Hilary! The ones that stuck out for me were the insect through glass (so sharp and amazing) and the loon...love that checkerboard pattern! Enjoyed the funny quotes, too, especially the snake and vulture one. Haha....

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures!

messymimi said...

The pictures are beautiful, and the quotes hysterical. If i had a choice, i'd rather answer a duck than a phone any day.

Daryl said...

such fun those quotes and your photos …

Kat said...

Wow! What amazing shots! That loon is gorgeous.

ellen abbott said...

the photo with the vulture is lovely and I really enjoyed the sounds of the loons. Never heard them before but have read about them.

Unknown said...

Very well said. I like how you did it through pictures.

Rita said...

Stunning shots again--all of them. And who is this Jarod Kintz? He's hysterical! I will have to google him. My favorite call of the loons is the haunting wail across a lake at dusk. You never forget it. What a great post! :):)

Shammickite said...

I took my hummingbird feeder down after it was invaded by a very thirsty and athletic and persistent squirrel. But 2 weeks later I put it up again nearer the house, and within 10 minutes there was a humming bird checking it out. I hope I'll be able to get some good pictures through the window.

Bob Bushell said...

Plenty of the best in the world, love them, especially the Loon, fantastic.

A Cuban In London said...

You have such knack to capture those beautiful and unforgettable moments our natural world has to offer.

Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Rob-bear said...

I hardly ever see or hear a loon. I grew up knowing them, but even in Saskatchewan now they are getting scarce.

Thanks for the fun.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Jinksy said...

Inside your window glass is a great place for outside photos!

Maggie May said...

All the shots are brilliant but I loved the humming bird and the row of ducks in the water!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

photowannabe said...

Simply gorgeous critters.
The bug...fly...wasp-like creature you transported back outside on the feather is so interesting...a bit scary looking but so beautifully captured.

Barb said...

Glad to see you've settled into life at the lake. I'd love to sit on the dock and hear the loons calling.

CiCi said...

The quotes were interesting and the photos of nature are so clear and lovely, even the bug. I knew you would be one to take a fly outside and set it free.

Mage said...

What a break from my inner city world. Thanks.

Anvilcloud said...

"My phone rang and a duck quacked, so I answered the bird."

This lady was right on.

I could have used a macro the other day when I tried to shoot a damsel fly. Of course, I wouldn't have had it on the camera at that point anyway, so ...

Dan said...

Each image could have been an individual blog post... easily with merit.

Becca said...

I love all of these pictures, especially the ducks! I always love looking for ducks when I am out on walks with my dog!

Unknown said...

As is always the case, Hilary, I'll peruse over one photo and decide it's my favorite only to find myself fascinated further by another photo that carries more of a theme here. Great photos and I hope you are enjoying the summer!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Lovely set. I especially like the hummer.

Anonymous said...

I love how he has a quote to fit all of your photos!!